They say that August is the month of divorce, but without a doubt it is also the month of decision making: change or leave work.
Although we are only in mid-May, I have been hearing for weeks that “in September I want to change my life, I do not want to continue like this”. Does it sound?
Yes, I was in that situation a few years ago and I always made up some excuse not to take the step.
- It will not work.
- With the blog I’m not going to make enough money and then who pays the mortgage.
- If I have to go back to look for work I will not find, the thing is difficult …
Affirmations that did not have any kind of basis, because the chances of it working were 50% -50% … why before it was already so negative?
As my head could not change it because one is like that, I opted for plan B: Create and monetize my blog while working full time.
True, it added pressure to all the obligations I already had, but I was relieved by the most important one: the economic one, not giving up the fixed work that gave me the income I needed to live.
And I know what you’re thinking,
- I can not reconcile everything, it is impossible, I do not have free hours.
- When I arrive home I am defeated, I can not think of continuing to work.
- My children require my attention, I could not concentrate and I would suffer interruptions.
Think, and I speak with knowledge of the cause, that we always find time for everything that really motivates us. So before I keep thinking I CAN NOT, think about how your life will change when you achieve it.
- I do not have time to do sports, I do not like to do sports so I do not find time for it (although I confess that now I’m giving everything in Pilates).
- It’s not that I do not have time to read novels, it’s that I prefer reading books about marketing.
- It’s not that I do not have time to stay with X, it’s that he does not give me much and I do not feel like seeing him.
- You see the difference?
I had clear from the start how I could change my life if I managed to monetize my blog: FREEDOM.
Monetizing my blogs could give me the freedom I had always wanted, be able to work from anywhere in the world, not have the pressure of a superior, be able to take vacations when I wanted, mark my work schedule … there were so many positive things that I saw , who knew that the effort was going to be worth it.
And yes, at that time I was working away from home for 12 hours in front of a computer (and I also had to pass the subjects of the race) and as you can imagine, what I did not want to do when I got home was to remain hooked to a screen, but the motivation and the reward that awaited me was so significant, that I found strengths where I did not have them.
So of course I’m not encouraging you to leave your job today for tomorrow, especially if you do not have financial support and you have to face monthly obligations, my goal is that you combine your current job with your future commitment.
And something very important, things do not happen today for tomorrow, this is not a lottery ticket. It needs to be simmered and if you want a change in your life one or two years from now, you should start working on it now.
Unfortunately, I receive emails every day from people who have a complicated situation and who need to make an immediate change in their life … and it is not possible. Diet, sports, learning to play an instrument … everything takes time.
If you are in that moment of your life, I can help you and these are the best tips I have for you.
HOW CAN YOUR LIFE CHANGE?
This question that seems so simple and difficult to answer, is the basis of everything, what is your why?
It’s like a diet, I think nobody likes to diet, but thinking about the end result is what gives you strength and courage to continue in times of slump. Well it is exactly the same.
Think about how your current life can change, less work pressure? more free time? Can you decide your schedule? economic freedom? personal satisfaction?
Take advantage of these weeks that you are on the beach, in the mountains, at home or on the bus, to think about it.
ORGANIZE YOUR SCHEDULES
As I mentioned before, quickly the first thing we think is “I do not have time”, when in fact we do. Specifically we have 24 hours that well organized, can give a lot.
A few weeks ago I wrote a post with tips to improve time management and set your goals, and I suggest you read it because it will help you organize and prioritize your daily tasks.
Can not you scratch at least one hour a day? One hour a day is seven hours a week that you can invest in your project.
I suggest that during a week you write down everything you do during the day, including going to the supermarket, in this way you will be more aware of what you invest the time and how you can organize better.
- Talk to your friendsand explain how important this project is to you, ask them what you need their support and understanding in the moments when you need to work. I advance you that you will not always find it, but you have to be strong and keep believing in yourself.
- Have children? If they get up at 7 o’clock, you can anticipate and get up at 6 o’clock and take advantage of that time to work. Do you prefer at night? When you go to sleep at 9pm (for example), you have time until bedtime.
- Write down what tasks you can simplify, can you make the purchase online? Can the children’s stationery or books be purchased by Amazon? What comes to mind.
- I take the time of lunch and breakfast to catch up with my sources of information, listen to a podcast … in short, tasks that do not require concentration.
- Take advantage of the routes by metro, bus or car to make decisions (without losing attention to the road if you drive of course). I always have great ideas when I’m alone in some public transport.
- Of course, it reduces the use of mobile phones, social networks … in short, everything that steals your time and does not direct you towards your goal.
- Temporarily, you will have to say on many occasions “I can not”, it will not be easy to resign, but I can assure you that it will be worth it. In the future it will be the others who will tell you “I can not” and you will have plenty of time for yourself.
ESTABLISH QUARTERLY OBJECTIVES
Everything at once is impossible to do, and we have to be realistic if we do not want to overwhelm and leave everything as impossible.
So as a good fan of the lists that I am, I suggest you write down all those tasks that you should do,
- Decide the theme of your blog.
- Choose the name of your blog.
- Buy the domain and hire the hosting.
- Create a moodboard.
- Plan the next 12 months.
- Think about what infoproduct you are going to sell.
Here are just some ideas of tasks that you will have to carry out, so every day or every three days for example, one of them must be solved.
These are only structure tasks, part is important to create the content of the blog, social networks, email marketing list … to help us get visibility and of course visits.
Again I turn to the example of diets, you can not lose 10 kilos a week, you have to go progressively and here, too.
That is why it is important that you set goals in time, for example: the first 3 months of the blog’s life I want to reach 100 monthly visits. And so progressively the following quarters.
They must be realistic and achievable goals, remember that if you set very high goals, it is likely that you will not get them and you will be frustrated, and it is something I want to avoid.
And do not underestimate anything you get from now on, every little advance is a great achievement.
Remember of course the training is important, that will avoid giving blind sticks and help you get to your goal before you have to leave on the road.
The reason is simple, you will have a route plan from A to Z with concrete steps you must follow, what you should do and how. It ended up making assumptions, doubts, tests … you know that life with a map is much easier.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF
And in all the senses.
- Reward yourself for everything you achieve, however insignificant it may seem to be an accomplished achievement.
- If possible, dedicate one hour a week to your well-being, Pilates or Yoga are fantastic activities that will relax and strengthen you. It is not necessary to go to a gym, you can also do it from home with the help of applications like this or this channel.
- Watch your diet, and yes, I’m addicted to the Nutella I say this. What we ingest affects our mood, fatigue … so choose a varied and balanced diet.
- Eliminate everything that does not help you or direct you to achieve your goal, I’ve already told you before, for a time it is necessary and will help you not feel so overwhelmed by commitments.
- Sleep the necessary hours, is the most important part, if you do not rest well we lack energy and it is hard to reach the end of the day.
- And something that I also did and recommend, is to save. During the first two years that I combined the office work and the blog, I tried to save as little as I could if in the future I might need or need to invest in the blog.
AT WHAT TIME TO LEAVE THE WORK?
It is a personal decision that you will only be able to decide but in case it can help you, I will tell you that I made the decision to leave my fixed job the first month that I obtained enough income to be able to continue meeting my monthly obligations.
And the income that the first month I got on the blog was not more than what it charged, not at all, but it was enough.
Then why? Freedom was very important for me, and you reach a certain point in your life that you realize that material things are that, material, and that time was the only thing that I really wanted, needed and could not buy.
That I had to buy less clothes? Going out less? … I could get over it.
Also that month I realized that I was not going to go back and that everything that happened from that moment on, was only going to depend on my work and perseverance. That is, if I wanted to get more income, I could make it happen.
And so it was, over time and thanks to strategic decisions I made, the revenues were increasing.
I had clear from the first moment that throwing balls out was just going to be an excuse and that if I wanted something, I had to go for it. The limits could only be set by me.
You’ve already seen it, getting monetized your blog is not a matter of luck, it’s work and perseverance. Luck is the excuse of those who do not try.
And you, are you thinking about turning your life around?