Is it worth opening a blog or is it better to put effort into enhancing your Instagram account?
For a few years, Instagram is the social network star, anonymous people who manage to have thousands of followers and to which brands and agencies rush to invite events or fill them with gifts. How
cool it would be to be doing unboxings all day?
But the reality is that although it is very appetizing, events, gifts and trips do not pay bills or fill the fridge.
- To really live exclusively from your Instagram account, you need a few thousand followers. And do not believe that it is enough with 50,000 or 100,000, no, every day you have to continue to thicken your account.
- Of course publish a first content.
- Interaccionar daily with other accounts and above all, that never missing the comments of value in your publications.
- Also likes, many likes in each photo.
- And last but not least, that your engagement is superior to approximately 4%.
Still nobody assures you anything, your income will always depend on those brands and agencies that at some point may be able to contact you.
Or what is the same, you play everything to a single letter.
The vast majority, not to mention all the Instagram accounts that I follow that move important figures, have a support website. Why?
I am going to put an example.
Sure you already know Chiara Ferragni, she only has 15 million followers on Instagram, however she does not dedicate herself exclusively to Instagram.
- He started with his blog The Blonde Salad, which he has never abandoned.
- Now your team publishes content on it where by the way, there is also an online store.
- It has its own brand of clothing, shoes and accessories.
- Make collaborations with brands and agencies.
You have already seen it, it diversifies its income and uses its image and engagement with its followers to continue increasing its bank account.
Apart from this fact, you do not have to forget that social networks do not belong to us.
Who we are on Instagram since before June 2017, date on which the algorithm appeared, we know well what this has meant: that your followers see your publications and Stories depends on a series of parameters that can vary at any time and that you can not control.
Let’s not forget that Instagram is a private company and that it makes money through the advertising we see every day.
Now that you know how complicated it can be if you only bet on Instagram and the variables that your income will be, I will explain some reasons why you should bet on a blog.
- The goal is not only to have a blog and write posts on it, it is much more than that. Imagine that you want to sell fruit, how are you going to do it? You have 2 options, or open a physical store or an online store. For both cases you need a house, an operations center from which to sell and where your “clients” or readers can land.
- The content you write on your blog lasts over time, if you optimize SEO you can receive visits for years. Do you know what the life of an Instagram publication is? One day if you’re lucky? That means that you constantly have to be creating content.
- Many brands and agencies are interested in you write on your blog about their products and services just for that reason, the content lasts over time and if potential customers come to him, they can see and know your experience.
- In addition to these posts, I am sure that you will include links that will point to the brand in question, that is, if for example I talk about Chanel handbags, I will include links to the Chanel website. This is something that most brands are very interested in.
- In your blog you can not only write about the brands with which you collaborate, but you can also add another type of content related to your activity and add affiliate links, that translates into more income.
- Also ads, let’s not forget it.
- And of course you can sell your own digital products, online courses, offer services, have an online store … whatever you want.
- In short, you have absolute control of your blog or what is the same, your business, you can decide what sources of income you have.
If you only have an Instagram account, you think well, you have much less work since you only have to focus on creating content for your account and cultivate your community.
But what if Instagram closes? What if the algorithm changes to worse? That seen the seen sure it will. What if you do not get an account with thousands of followers or good engagement? What if the brands do not contact you? Or just contact you to make gifts that do not pay the bills?
Again my recommendation, do not play everything to a single currency, from here the choice is yours alone.
I hope I have helped you and I await your comments, I would love to know what you think.