There are usually many more, but I can not make this list infinite. For this reason I have decided to compile in a single document the 10 most characteristic errors that “almost” everyone commits when a new website is launched.
Suppose you already know the project we want to launch, what we want to write or what we want to sell. We even assume that we have already done the Keyword Research for the choice of keywords.
From here we will show which SEO errors are the most repeated in most projects when a new web page is launched.
- 1 1.- Chose a Hosting
- 2 2.- Choose the domain
- 3 3 . – Not everything is perfect: Lean Startup.
- 4 4.- Do not control the launch of a website.
- 5 5.- Redirection from No www to www or vice versa.
- 6 6.- Duplicity content on a website caused by ourselves.
- 7 7.- Share on Social Networks without indexing first
- 8 8.- Internal Nofollow Links
- 9 9.- Labels as the name of the categories.
- 10 10.- Invest in Content.
1.- Chose a Hosting
I put it first because your choice can weigh the project at the SEO level. We must not only look at the speed, optimization, updating and others, but we must also choose a hosting that has an unblemished reputation.
We must know what type of hosting we are going to hire. Depending on the type of project we will choose one or the other.
- VPS (Virtual Private Server): A partition of a hosting where you can install an operating system (server) to use it as an individual server. The VPS shares a machine with other accommodations, although it has a unique IP for it. Also in the VPS, depending on the type of server we can install any distribution of CPanel, Plesk or Linux. This server can be:
– Not managed: You have to install everything and manage everything yourself.
– Managed: Those who sell the VPS are responsible for installing the distribution of the operating system we want, in addition to installing Apache and / or php or mysql updates …
- Shared Hosting: It is a part of a Server that collects machine and IP with other web projects. It is the most economical option.
- Dedicated Accommodation It is a Dedicated Server just for you. It does not share IP or machine with any other project. In the vast majority of cases it is unmanaged or self-administered, so you yourself have to take charge of installing the operating system, configuring it and managing it.
Choice of Hosting according to type of project.
- Amateur Blog: Birth of a blog, you start with a lot of desire, but you do not have the certainty of knowing how it will go in the future. Regardless of the theme that is the most sensible for this type of blog is a shared hosting. As the blog is gaining visitors and the blogger making community, you will have to switch to a VPS to avoid having problems of space, RAM, or conflicts with other blogs and projects that share the same IP.
- Professional blog: They are blogs that have a high number of daily visits, that consume many resources and also generates a lot of content on a daily basis. Unquestionably this blog has to be a VPS, to be able to satisfy the needs and technical requirements that arise.
- Magazine: It can be a magazine, a digital newspaper of news … If it is not done in a professional way, it can be worth with a shared hosting, but as soon as something is wanted a little more professional, the magazine will need own resources to satisfy the transfer demand of users, so a VPS is recommended.
- E-commerce: An online store can be designed to measure, or under a management platform like Prestashop or Magento. Nowadays, a professional store must have a hosting that does not limit its use by users, and from which, later, an SSL certificate of guarantees can be obtained. Here we depend on the budget we have. If the budget allows us to choose a VPS we must do it. Some stores can be installed on a shared hosting, but if this store thrives and starts with a volume of interesting daily orders and a large flow of visitors, you must choose a VPS or a Dedicated Hosting. In the case of Online Stores created under the Magento platform, at least one must choose a VPS with 2GB of dedicated RAM, since it is an Ecommerce platform that requires too many resources.
- Corporate Web: Actually, we also depend on the budget, the normal thing is that a corporate website is in a shared hosting because it does not need more. At most, to protect the domain you should choose a dedicated ip for this shared hosting (if you can). Another thing is that the corporate website is Semrush or Cocacola … In these cases we talk about totally different projects.
- Landing Page or Web advertising: These are websites that have a temporary nature. In this case, we do not need much beyond a Shared Accommodation.
2.- Choose the domain
Although for years the domain is not a Super Handicap to position a keyword, the truth is that still an EMD domain (Domain that has the keyword) will position your keyword better than a domain other than EMD. But we should not only look at the domain as EMD, but we should also look at the extension of the domain.
Obviously it is not logical to operate with a .fr domain in Spain, nor to operate with a domain .es in France. If our project is in Spain and the objective is to position it in Spain, the choice of .com or .es is not a major decision of importance. Moreover, when you choose the .com you must perform all the tasks of geolocation of the web in Search Console, to give it specific weight in the country.It goes in tastes, to me, I personally like .com but the .es are equally effective to operate in Spain.
3 . – Not everything is perfect: Lean Startup.
We must assume that not everything is perfect at 100%. Never a project will be as we want. In the vast majority of cases we make the mistake of being ultra perfectionist. This is a serious problem, because perfection does not exist, especially on the Internet. There is always something to improve, there is always something to add, there is always something that can be better. That is why it is best to launch the project (the part that is in condition) as quickly as possible and to make tests on this.
Lean Startup Concept:
The concept of Lean Startup is based on the Test and Error methodology. We know that not everything is perfect, so we launched a minimum viable part, we measure, analyze and we are improving little by little. We must assume that 90% of Startups fail in the first year. (I know it is hard and it is not motivating, but it is the pure reality) That is why we must optimize resources and efforts for the launch of a new company.
Imagine that we have an E-commerce accessory. We want our e-commerce to be perfect, that with most of the products that exist in the market … But this can take us a year of work practically and we will never have it ready. The ideal is: Create the store, select the products we think are the most interesting, introduce them, and launch the web. Then we measure and we improve as we have audience data, clients …
In addition, the projects do not fail because the product is poorly designed, but because, sometimes, we do not think about the client, and we do not listen to it, and this is the most important thing.
4.- Do not control the launch of a website.
This is another typical error. We devise a project, create a web and launch everything as we work on the page. At the beginning nothing is going to happen because for Google and the rest of search engines you do not even exist. But sooner or later, either by a backlink or by a mention in social networks, Google will come to your website and start indexing. Seriously what do you want me to index pages that do not have any content?
Therefore, it is best to do everything in a controlled manner.
Phases of the launch of a website:
a.- Idea of the project, strategy and marketing plan.
This point is a little more complicated and I would need a post only for each one, but let’s imagine that we already have the idea of what we want to work with, we have designed the marketing strategy and plan and we are in the launching of the web.
b.- We install WordPress – Magento – Prestashop
If we work with a CMS, the first thing we do is install it, be it WordPress, Magento or Prestashop. We also install the template that most interests us or create our own. The ideal here is to put the web in maintenance mode with an introductory text of the web or a teaser, so that you can only access this page. In Prestashop it is direct, because there is a maintenance section. For more information See Prestashop tutorials.
In WordPress we can install a Plugin as WP Maintenance Mode, which is super configurable and we can even add social networks and a subscription to the newsletter.
c.- We begin with the design and introduction of contents.
If we have not installed any plugin or have put the web in maintenance, we must control what we are doing. To do this we must create the file Robots.txt and make a disallow of everything that we do not have well built for SEO. It is not advisable to disallow the entire domain. By experience then Google takes longer to index the web.
d.- We launched the project
This is where we started to publish it on social networks, we sent press releases and so on. The part that we have well built we must enable it for indexing and the part that is not yet finished we must disable it so that Google does not index it.
5.- Redirection from No www to www or vice versa.
When we put www.yourdomain.com it’s actually a subdomain of tudominio.com. In principle it does not matter to work with www or without www. But what we have to make sure is to choose the main domain, and perform the redirection of the other.
To do this we must make the necessary code modifications in the .htaccess file located in the root of the domain. In the vast majority of CMS’s (WordPress, Prestashop, Magento …) the file already exists. In some of them, the redirection that we will explain next is already implemented.
How to know if my domain is perfectly redirected?
The best thing is to use the Screamingfrog tool, which you can download for free on their website. First open the browser and put the domain name open our website and see what version is in the browser bar. If in the bar it puts http://www.yourdomain.com we open the tool Screamingfrog and analyze http://yourdomain.com. If it is correctly redirected, in the first line will appear what we have written and in the Status Code column it will be 301. This means that the domain with www is redirected permanently to the domain without www. If a 302 appears it means that the redirect is temporary, something that is not quite correct. If on the other hand a 200 appears, it means that there is one version of the web for www and another for the domain without www. This last case is very serious, since it is duplicating content on the page without even knowing it. In the last two situations you must include a code in the .htacces so that the redirection is carried out properly.
6.- Duplicity content on a website caused by ourselves.
The duplication of content or copy of content is one, if not the worst, of the evils that a web can have. We have assumed that we should not copy content from anyone, either because it is legally a crime or may entail an administrative sanction (this is confirmed by a lawyer please), or because Google Panda will give us a sanction but in the form of Penalty in Google. So perfect, but what happens with the content that we duplicate of ourselves?
Without realizing it we are creating content that is indexed under different urls and this Google interprets it as duplicate content.
How do we duplicate content without knowing it?
- Not using extracts as a summary.
If we have a blog, or an Ecommerce, and in the news summary of the blog or on the product cover the content as an extract is the same as the content of the blog post itself or the product, the content will be duplicated.
Use different content for the extracts. In WordPress it is simple, you just have to open the options of the page and activate the check of extracts. We must also make sure that the subject we are using contains the extracts in its code. If this is not the case and we have no idea of php code, we can install one of the many Plugins that exist for the extracts (Excerpt).
- Index author page in blog monoautor
When there is only one writer in a blog, we must assume that the summary of the author will be equal to the summary of the cover. In this way we duplicate content. It is best to place a metarobot noindex – follow label on author pages.
How do we do it?
We can do it with Yoast WordPress Seo Plugin. It is very easy to configure and we can do a thousand things.
It is one of the most serious mistakes that are made in SEO. While it is true that we have to be careful in every way to take care of our optimization, it is also true that we must be with a thousand eyes for the negative SEO attacks we may have. One of the techniques used to make SEO Negative is the theft of content. If we publish in social networks without having indexed our content in Google we are giving a warning to everyone that the content is virgin, that they can do with it what they want, and also when Google goes to index your page it will detect it as a copy of another and will not position it. The same thing happens with e-mail marketing. While it is true that we can have Crawlers analyzing our website and copying content to full as we publish, do not make it easier.
How can we force the indexing of our website?
We have to do it in Search console. In the column on the right click on Tracking and then Explore as Google. We include the URL and send to the index.
8.- Internal Nofollow Links
A follow link is a mention that passes linkjuice to the link. A nofollow link is a mention that does not transfer any type of linkjuice. On the other hand, internal links are a way of transferring the authority that one page may have to another.
Therefore it is convenient that all internal links are Follows. In addition Google obviates all internal nofollow links, so you do not have to bother placing them.
We often generate nofollow internal links without us knowing. For example. If in the WordPress profile we have placed our web page, when we respond to a comment a link will be generated in that comment to the root of our blog, and that link will be nofollow. Therefore it is recommended in the profile not to put the web.
9.- Labels as the name of the categories.
If we place a label with the same name as a category, it will duplicate both text and titles and so on. There are many who are not in favor of indexing labels. In my case if I am a supporter, but with some limitations, that is, never put a label with the name of an author or with the name of a category and much less a post.
10.- Invest in Content.
We must be aware that we can not do everything great. We may be the best selling products, and those that we understand the most about a certain product, but we will not know how to write that product the way we need it.
Therefore we must invest in creating quality content. That it does not hurt to invest 30, 50, 100 € is to buy that content because it will recover more than enough.
There is a multitude of platform for the creation and content. I use Lowpost very often, but there are others. As if you find someone who is a professional and you hire them to write on your website.
As I said at the beginning, there are many more errors. For that reason I leave the door open for you in comments to ask me what you think is appropriate and I answer it without problems. Do not forget to share.