Which links get Google’s penalty and which ones do not?
But beware, before you start with the methods to “get high quality backlinks”, some warnings, not to “get penalties” instead of links. WARNING:
- Getting hit many links can cause you to go Google and then be penalized, because Google identifies that as something unnatural and penalizes. It is important to go slowly and be consistent.
- Before, it worked very well to receive many links with the same link text (anchor text). The famous Google bombing that I explained here 3 years ago. Now it does not work, since the Google Penguin update. Proper distribution of high quality backlinks texts is important, as explained in points 23 and 24 of this article.
- They do not interest links in webs with many outgoing links, because the authority of the page that links is distributed equally in all of them and to each one comes very little authority. The ideal is to have links in websites with less than 10 external links. In addition, Google can detect them as high quality backlinks farms and penalize them.
- Not interested links in pages blocked with robots.txt, with noindex, nofollow in meta robots, because Google does not count them.
- They penalize links on pages with spam, porn or content penalized by Google. Also links to webs that link to spam websites. This is one of the causes why it is bad to buy links: you can put them on penalized pages or along with penalized links. And with that you buy your own penalty.
- Google before just looked at the text of the received link (anchor text), now it is also fixed in the context of that link, in the title of the news where the link is and in the noble of the web where the link is. It is important that the website where the link has a theme similar to ours or, at least, the news has a title related to our website.
- It does not equal the number of links received. What counts is the quality of the links received. A single quality link is worth more than 5,000 links on pages with little authority.
- Before, the links in the footer or the sidebars of blogs (blogroll) and web pages (sidebar) worked well, but nowadays they do not help, but they hurt. It is preferable to receive only one or two high quality backlinks from each domain. The links in the footer generate hundreds of links (one from each of the internal pages of a web page) and all of them with the same link text. This can be fixed by putting a code in the footer or sidebar, so that the links are only displayed on the web page, which is the page with more authority and not on the internal pages.
- They help more positioning the links within the news, than in the footer or in lateral columns.
- Google identifies as “unnatural”, and therefore punishable, that all links received are dofollow and no nofollow, so some have to be nofollow (here you have it explained).
- Google’s rules on incoming links change frequently. Google has an average of 500 algorithm changes every year, which would amount to a change in the Google algorithm every 17 hours. So it is advisable to leave the SEO in the hands of professionals, who are always up-to-date with Google’s changes. What today helps to be # 1, in two weeks can penalize you in Google.
How to measure the high quality backlinks?
Before you could look at Google Page Rank to know the authority of the page where the link was, now no longer, because Google no longer publishes page Page Page updates, although Google continues to count and update internally.
There are several alternatives to Page Rank. The best I think of are Moz Rank (MR), Page Authority (PA) and Domain Authority (DA).
- MozRank: is the famous Google PageRank. It goes from 0 to 10 with logarithmic scale. As Google updates it every few months or every year, MOZ updates it every few days. It depends only on the number of high quality backlinks received and the PageRank of the pages from which you are linked.
- Page Authority: A value from 0 to 100 in a logarithmic scale that indicates the probability that a certain page has to be up in Google. It depends on many factors. They are adding new factors, so that this value predicts more and more accurately the positioning of a web in Google.
- Domain Authority: A value from 0 to 100 in logarithmic scale indicating the probability that a given domain has to be up in Google. It is like the previous one, but this one shows the strength of the whole domain, not only of a particular page of that domain.
Each page within your website has a different authority: different Google Page Rank or Moz’s Page Authority. Moz’s PA is updated frequently, Google’s Page Rank as well. Although Google has stopped publishing the updates for some time, it is a factor that it uses to determine the authority of each page within a web.
Pages with more authority go higher in Google.
To measure the PA, DA and MR of your web you can install the MozBar in Chrome (is the one I use) or the Seo Toolbar in Firefox.
An PA of less than 10 is quite bad. From 10 to 20 you can not consider a quality link. From 20 onwards you can start serving. A PA from 30 is fine. It’s not a suspense, like it’s a 3 out of 10 on a test. And from 40 is fine.
Authority is gained with incoming links. And the authority is transmitted with outbound links (with links without the nofollow tag).
The authority is evenly distributed among all links. If a page has an authority of 10 and has 5 external links, each link will transmit an authority of 2 to the landing page.
Therefore, they are interested in links from authority pages with few outgoing links.
How to get high quality backlinks to be first in Google?
We already know how to measure the authority of incoming links, and also what links penalize Google and which links. Now let’s get into flour explaining how to get high quality backlinks:
1.- Get equal links to your competition (recommended): you see a web that is above you on Google and you want to have the same links, to match or exceed it. How to do it? Browse that site with Ahrefs, Openlinkprofiler and MOZ.com/researchtools/ose. This way you will discover the links that you receive and you can get some of the same ones, to improve the authority of your web. You will not be able to replicate all your links, but some will. Then you just have to get links where your competition can not, to be able to overcome them.
2.- Generates good content and will link you voluntarily and naturally, because the content is king (highly recommended): this is the typical thing that is always repeated. And the best part is that it’s true. The downside is that it is a slow method to get links. They link you, but after months or years. If you are in a hurry to upload to Google, it is not the ideal method. To get fast high quality backlinks, the content has to be very controversial or viral, so that people share it in social networks and get to the big newspapers, who talk about your website with a link.
The PBN (private network of blogs): before were bought many links, now it is happening to the PBN, because Google is fighting very strong against the purchase of links.
But PBNs are yours and only yours: you buy the domain, you design the web, you fill it with content and you put there the links you want. There are all sizes, from 10 blogs, up to 200 or more, but the idea is to make blogs and web pages from which to link the websites to which you want to position. PBN blogs must have inbound links, so they have authority and serve something. Types of PBN:
3.- New PBN (big time and money spent): buy new domains, hire editors, make quality content, upload it to the web, optimize it for Google, so that it comes up and people know it. And because it’s good content and it’s high on Google, people know and link it in a natural way. After a while you receive links and the PBN already has authority and is ready to use.
4. PBN blogger blogs expired (free): I explain how it is done: in Blogger / Blogspot there are two ways for a blog to cease to exist: because the owner closes it freely (in this case the blog can be re-registered later). Or because Google closes it (Blogger is Google), because it violates its policies (porno, spam, etc). In this case the blog can not be opened again. Volunteer closure interests, because if we register again all the links that went to that blog will now continue to be on our blog.
How to get them? You install xenu, a program that reviews an entire web page and tells you the high quality backlinks that fail (both the internal links that fail, and the external links that go to pages that do not exist). You run it in a blog directory. You look only at Blogger blogs (in wordpress can not open closed blogs). In the 404 error “not found” is because the blog has closed. You check manually whether it can be re-registered or not (20% of the closed bogs can again be registered according to my experience). You register the ones that can be registered and passed through http://www.checkmoz.com/, which massively checks the PA and DA of a list of domains. Those of a PA of more than 20 registers … I notice that I already threshed 4 directories of blogs with this system and I have registered 27 blogs of PA over 25, but there are more directories.
5.- PBN expired or expired domains (payment): domains that were previously used, but were closed, and still receive links from important websites. You can search them in expireddomains.net, where you can order them by pagerank or by number of incoming links, to choose the most important ones.
Before you buy a domain check your inbound links profile with Ahrefs, Openlinkprofiler and MOZ.com/researchtools/ose to make sure they are not spam links. Look also at the website at archive.org, to see what content you had before, lest the web be penalized by Google. Once you find domains that are worthwhile, you can use them as your PBN’s blog, or simply make them a 301 redirect to the web you want to position, to give you more authority.
6.- Broken links from other websites: this I have never tried, but some say it works. Run xenu on a web, detect the broken links, notify the owner of the errors you have in the links and kindly ask you to put a link in return. I do not believe much in the effectiveness of this technique, but here I leave it in case someone serves.
7.- Helping other webmasters and “collect” with links: this technique is an extension of the previous one, you detect an error, for example a virus in a web, you notify the webmaster and you say that you will fix it in exchange for a link. Or you write to tell him how to improve one of your articles and ask him to link you. Or tell him or her that you’ll help with SEO or optimize your AdSense earnings in exchange for a link.
8.- Buy high quality backlinks (not recommended): Not advisable because you can put them in pages of little authority, or next to links to pages penalized by Google, generating penalties. Or in pages with 200 outgoing links, so those links are worth almost nothing.
9. Sponsoring events or donating to foundations (costs money): if you sponsor an event, that web will link you. Some foundations also link to companies that make donations. It is a way to advertise and gain links, albeit expensive and therefore not recommended. It’s the way to “buy links” without Google penalizing you.
10.- Press releases: there are many web where you can publish free press releases. You send them to everyone and they usually publish them all. Before sending them, check the DA of those pages, to filter the domains that are not worth it. Some put the links with nofollow, but also interesting to have nofollow links, to appear natural. Ideally, you should also send them to large newspapers, if you send them to 100 large newspapers and write with skill and hook the press release, maybe 4 or 5 will publish it to you. We have a large media database to send press releases about our clients and it usually works quite well, although it takes quite some time to develop it.
11.- Profiles in social networks: They are another source of links, although many of them are nofollow. But others, like about.me are follow and have authority. In namechk.com you can put your keyword and see what profiles in social networks are free with your keyword, to register and link to your website. Having profiles on social networks also helps improve the online reputation of a brand or a person or clean your image on the internet.
12.- GSA Search Engine Ranker or ScrapeBox (not recommended) are programs to position web pages automatically. Basically they are dedicated to putting hundreds of comments on blogs and forums with links to your page. You can choose the% of each of the anchor text. The bad thing is that these links are usually nofollow and, in addition, are usually surrounded by other links to pages of spam or penalized by Google, which impairs the positioning, because it is important that the links are on “clean” pages and with few links outgoing
13.- Blogs on pages of newspapers or major magazines: there are newspapers that allow you to have your blog inside and there to put news and links. Although these blogs initially have PA 1, so you must first provide them with authority with incoming links, so that the links from those pages are of higher quality.
14.- Blogs in authority domains: just like in the previous case, you can make blogs and leave posts on WordPress.com, blogger.com, tumblr.com, livejournal.com … websites with great authority DA, but before that the links in our blog are worth, we will have to provide them with authority with incoming high quality backlinks, so that they raise their PA.
If you know more methods to get high quality backlinks, here you can leave them in the comments … Thanks!